Friday, July 18, 2008

Holier-than-thou?

Histories revisits. And echoes.
An Economist article about India and its pollutions today stirred almost exactly the same reaction among India and western/rational readers as months ago while the Tibet and China was the center of debate.
As a Chinese, "over-sensitive" as once described by one American friend, occasionally feeling offended while confronting with overture "holier-than-thou" attitudes, I felt a very complicated sentiment reading the readers' comments in the India article. On the one hand, I basically share the same idea with those "western" readers that I believe India has problems in their system and they should accept the facts and try to improve them; on the other hand, a strong curiosity urges me to seek an opportunity to visit India, be in the country, experience it, and see whether the experience will bring me a conclusion on whether there is a "holier-than-thou" tone in this Economist article.

No comments: